TOP 10 FAQ’s
1. What sizes are available?
We offer BOLD STEP Stair Treads in 2.6”, (2) 4”, 7.5”, 9” and 11” depths. The 2.6”, 4”, 9” and 11” depths have a tapered back while the 7.5” has a rounded back edge. All treads are available in lengths up to 12 feet. We offer single cavity treads in the 2.6” and a 4” tread while double cavity treads are available in 4”, 7.5”, 9” and 11” depths.
The double cavity treads allow for 2 different colors to be inlayed enabling the customer to color coordinate for appearance and added safety. (meets ADA requirements)
Flat Safety Plates are available in 3.5”, 5.5” and 7” depths for areas not requiring a nosing such as ramps, inclines or landings. Flat plates are a single cavity and available in single colors with the exception of our patented Hazard Stripe.
All treads have maximum lengths of 12’.
All Treads and Plates are made to order.
2. When measuring for the treads do I need to cover the whole step?
You do not need to cover the entire surface of the step. It is recommended that you leave 1/2”- 1” at the side of each tread. This allows for the treads to be centered on each step.
3. What colors are available?
The standard colors are: Black, Grey, Yellow, Green, Blue, Red and Brown
4. What if I want a different color than what you offer?
We can do custom colors, it is and additional $1.00 - $2.00 per lineal foot. The process is simple. You send us a sample of the color you desire, we will do our best to color match. We will then send a sample for approval prior to manufacturing.
5. Are these treads easy to install?
Yes, all treads are pre-drilled with counter sunk holes. We have standard drill formats and can send the pattern for the size required if necessary. If you do not want pre-drilled holes, WE MUST be noted on your order.
- Simply place a tread on the top stair making sure it is centered, do the same on the bottom step and use chalk line to establish uniformity. Mark all the holes with center punch.
- Put the treads aside and use appropriate drill bit for pilot hole.
- Use Liquid Nail or adhesive to create a gasket be and make a bead on the bottom of the tread around each hole and the edge.
- Put the treads in place, making sure you line up the holes.
- Using appropriate fastener for your application (#10 stainless steel screws are recommended), drill the screws into place.
6. Where can these treads be used?
These treads can be used on stairs, ramps, inclines and landings, indoors as well as outdoors. The surface must be flat. We do offer leveling compound if needed.
7. Will the aluminum corrode?
Our aluminum is exterior grade, heat treated and is inherent with some corrosion resistance. As with any product, when exposed to extreme, harsh conditions product may corrode. Example: Salt water
8. Can I use a shovel to remove snow and ice?
It is best to use a broom or stiff-bristle brush to remove the snow and ice, do not use rock salt.
9. What if I need a notch or miter cut on the treads?
It is best to advise us when you place your order. It is much easier to cut prior to the application of our epoxy mineral abrasive filler. BOLD STEP products can be cut with band saw or diamond blade wet saw but may destroy the blade and possibly darken the edges of the filler.
10. What if I measured incorrectly and my treads are to long?
You can cut the treads on site, but you will need a Diamond Blade. It is best to cut them from top to bottom, smooth the ends with a high-speed sander.